Open Mic Night 2022: “A Night In the City”

Lara Joy Jusi, Staff Reporter

Students and staff packed into the media center on Dec. 21 for the first open mic of the school year. The wintry decor evoked a cozy, intimate atmosphere. And the theme, “A Night in the City,” gave open mic a new direction that even had the audience go glam as if at a grand venue. Twelve student acts that included singers, musicians, comedians and poets performed.

Audience favorites included sophomores Louis Detrano, for his stand-up comedy act, and Rose Primo, who sang “A Thousand Years” by Christina Perri.

“I liked that I tried something new because it was the first time I performed for open mic and I honestly think it’s something a lot of people should try,” Primo said.

Band members Christian Giurgi (bassist), Miguel Alvarezcano (guitarist) and Thomas Rendon (drummer), all sophomores, played “Sofia” by Clairo, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” by Nirvana, and “American Idiot” by Green Day. The band’s lead singer was unavailable so Kalissa Washington filled in and sang vocals. 

Rendon found this open mic to be a 10 out of 10 experience. “The fact that we got the crowd going gave me the reassurance that we nailed it,” said Giurgi. “We would like to thank Kalissa for being our lead singer,” Alvarezcano added.

Freshman Julia Leopando performed “She Used To Be Mine” by Sara Bareilles from the musical “Waitress.” “Even though I didn’t feel like I did the best, others made me feel better about my performance,” she said.

The audience was impressed by all of the performers.

“It was my first time attending an open mic event,” said junior Lauren Bacareza. “It was great seeing people sing and play.” Junior Brigitte Acquah agreed, “Open mic night was very fun. It was nice seeing the theme and being able to watch different people perform while seeing their talents.” 

“Mostly everyone dressed up which was pretty cool,” Washington said. “I liked how at open mic everyone was having fun and was so supportive of one another.” 

Other Performers:

Seniors:

Samantha Oest sang “Don’t Rain On My Parade” from the musical “Funny Girl.”

Juniors:

Imaani Soto read her original poem “Beauty Is Fire.” 

Julia Shakarova sang “Rescue” by Lauren Daigle.

Kalissa Washington sang “Savior Complex” by Phoebe Bridgers.

Mimi O’Brien sang “Golden Hour” by JVKE. 

Santi Martinez Giraldo sang “Tarde” by Sebastian Yatra and “Como Tu Dices” by Tommy Torres.