Boys’ bathroom needs renovations

QSI boys’ bathroom

Christian Kelly, Staff Reporter

The bathroom is typically known as a place of respite and where people punch out of the classroom for a few minutes to do their business. However, despite its reputation in other places, QSI’s boys’ restroom is a mess in both design and in general, to put it lightly.

It’s visually unappealing, with its repurposed boiler room aesthetic, an amassing pile of gum in the corner of the left stall and overall griminess. But that’s only part of what makes visiting it unpleasant.

There’s a foul stench that often permeates the bathroom and sometimes escapes into the hallway. Part of the reason the odor is so reminiscent of a subway bathroom is that like in a subway, there isn’t adequate ventilation in the boys’ bathroom. There’s no window and no fan system. The lack of any air flow causes the stink to stagnate and makes the bathroom feel gross and moist. 

Students had many complaints about the conditions in the bathroom. Some of which were student-caused problems.

“To be honest, it’s absolutely disgusting there, nobody flushes in there and there’s usually like pee on the floor and it ruins my shoes,” said sophomore Abyaz Mahboob.

“Students could make the bathroom more comfortable for others by cleaning up after themselves,” said school aide Isabella Druvitski. 

However, even if the students improved their bathroom etiquette and took better care of it, some reasons for the subpar conditions are beyond student control. A comparison of the 3 boys’ bathrooms in the building shows that the basic design and conditions of the other 2 bathrooms are superior to QSI’s. The below table shows a side-by-side comparison of the 3 bathrooms.

Data collected from all 3 bathrooms (2023)

As school bathrooms normally go, we’re probably not the worst. However we could definitely do better, after all most arts cannot be perfected but instead improved upon until we are proud of the result.