NHS caps off school year with good deeds

NHS members at the North Shore Animal League.

Louis Detrano, Staff Reporter

As the school year ends, the NHS has done a lot of good for the community. To celebrate Earth Day on April 22, they cleaned up and planted trees at Kissena Corridor Park and on May 6, they helped clean up Flushing Bay.

“I feel great about what the NHS has accomplished lately,” said Caroline Ward, one of the NHS advisors. “We completed clean ups, took a trip to the North Shore Animal League America (NSALA) and had a successful bake sale for [them].” 

On April 28, juniors visited NSALA in Port Washington, the world’s largest no-kill animal rescue and adoption organization.

“The staff were very kind, informative and knowledgeable regarding the animals and the shelter itself,” said junior Mallery Keovilayhong. “Animals at the North Shore Animal League are treated with much care and love and are very deserving of permanent homes. It was such an honor to get to spend time with these animals and to also better understand the shelter we are supporting.”

According to junior Juliana Papadopoulos, the purpose of going to NSALA “was to make a video of all the animals that are up for adoption and then the video would be used as an advertisement for the bake sale.” 

Donation box that Papadopoulos decorated and set up in Ms. Moyano’s office

“The money that we donated will be used to buy toys, beds, food and treatment for any of the animals up for adoption,” Papadopolous said. 

On May 21, the NHS along with some of their newly inducted members participated in the AIDS walk in Central Park.

“The AIDS walk is important for helping spread awareness and support those who do have AIDS,” said sophomore Tracy Yang. “It’s important to show them that they are a part of our community and that they are not much different compared to everyone else.”

“Giving back to the community is important to [us] and we do so by participating in those events,” said senior and NHS president Jade Defreitas.