QSInquirer

The Student News Site of Queens School of Inquiry

QSInquirer

QSInquirer

Cuisine Crusaders: Boon De Moo Ka Ta Thai B.B.Q

Boon de Moo Ka Ta is an all-you-can-eat restaurant in Flushing that offers a unique combination of hotpot and barbecue. You can cook your food with a sizzling skillet or a simmering broth. The restaurant serves a variety of meat, including lamb, pork and beef. The staff are friendly, attentive and knowledgeable by providing tips on which items are better than others and how long you should cook each piece. Their service enriches the overall experience. With a vast menu, here are some of our favorite dishes:

Thai Style Marinated Beef:

The Thai Style Marinated Beef is rich with flavor, with its marinade including lemongrass, garlic, lime juice, chili, soy sauce along with other ingredients. The combination of these ingredients results in a perfectly balanced and flavorful dish that is unique to the traditional choices offered at barbecues. We strongly recommend getting a taste of these as the flavor of the marinade is unique and it is an easily cooked and good-tasting choice!

Rating: 8/10

Marinated Ribs:

The Marinated Ribs were easily one of the best items of the many selections. When cooked properly, they offer a succulent and flavorful experience. The ribs, with a rich blend of Thai seasonings, deliver a perfect balance of savory and sweet, with a smoky finish that only enhances the taste. We enjoyed the ribs so much that we had to get a second plate full of these. These ribs are a must!

Rating: 9.5/10

Spicy Beef:

The Spicy Beef presents a bold flavor that is an acquired taste. The beef itself is well tendered and the spice that it offers provides a better tasting dish overall. However, the bitterness of the dish is noticeable when it mixes with the other flavors. It overshadows the aftertaste of the spice and seasonings. Some may prefer the more bitter aftertaste than others, but we personally did not like that as much.

Rating: 7/10 

Thai Iced Tea:

The Thai Iced Tea’s appearance is eye-catching, with the dark color on the bottom contrasting with the light colors on the top. This drink is perfect for the incoming hot weather and can cool you down. The drink is a creamy and sweet tea, composed of black tea, condensed milk and creamer. The black tea mixes the creaminess really well, and in almost a perfect harmony; the drink is really tasty.

Rating: 9/10

Honorable Mentions:

Thin sliced pork belly: The thin sliced pork belly was really flavorful, but it was oily and took too long to cook. Overall it was a pretty good choice, but it was definitely not within the top five.

Bulgogi Beef: The Bulgogi Beef is a standard and common addition to most barbecues and hotpot so there was nothing special to this.

Overall Rating: 8/10

Boon de Moo Ka Ta was a unique and pleasant experience compared to traditional hotpot and barbecue, with excellent customer service and vast choices of food. This spot is a little bit more on the expensive side so we would recommend it for special occasions.