GSA raises awareness on National Coming Out Day

GSA table in hallway on National Coming Out Day.

Huifen Li, Staff Reporter

The Gender & Sexuality Alliance decorated the hallway with rainbow balloons, posters and an informational table to celebrate National Coming Out Day. National Coming Out Day, celebrated on Oct. 11, is an annual LGBTQ+ awareness day to appreciate people who are coming out as LGBTQ+, or as an ally, to the community, friends or family members in their lives. 

“It was to advocate for more sensitivity, more education and being visible,” said Ms. Jill Kaufman, who is a school social worker and the advisor for the GSA club. 

Students in the GSA club were in charge of the table and quizzed their peers with trivia about the history of gay pride, GSA and LGBTQ+ facts. They also handed out rainbow ribbons and stickers. 

“They were tricky questions because of the wording,” said eighth grader Faith Lange, a member of the GSA. “The table was more of a symbol that we’re here to support students and that they have somewhere to go to if they’re struggling with their own thoughts and feelings.”

Kaufman believes that with the progression of the GSA club and events like this, people will be more aware about sexuality, gender and how important respect is towards people that are part of the LGBTQ+ community. 

“It’s fighting for the vision of the school and the vision of the community that we want for LGBTQ+ people,” said Kaufman. 

Already, we have witnessed positive effects of having GSA in school. Although no one came out at the table, the whole reason behind setting it up was to make students feel as though they could be themselves.

“We try to create a safe space for someone to come out at any time that they need to. Sometimes it does take a while for them to come to terms with themselves,” said sophomore Isabella Delia, a member of the GSA. 

The GSA club is a group made for emotional support, having fun and advocacy. It is free for anyone to join and all are welcome. Currently GSA meets on Fridays. The middle school students meet sixth period in room 136 and the high school students meet seventh period in room 141. 

“It’s a very safe environment,” said sophomore Lissandra Ferrante, a member of the GSA.