College readiness in December

SUNY representative speaking with students

Louis Detrano

Louis Detrano, Staff Reporter

During the month of December, students had the opportunity, both in school and at a local university, to explore and learn about going to college.

During third period on Dec. 2, about 30 students attended a SUNY college information session about the benefits of attending the various SUNY colleges. Ms. Jennifer Toribio, an advisor for SUNY, gave students information about the system of public colleges and universities, including that it consists of 64 individual college campuses, 370,000 students, and 3 million alumni. Toribio also encouraged juniors to do their research and apply by August 1, 2023. 

There is a lot of decision making that goes along with the college application process,” said guidance counselor Lindsey Sequeira, who organized the event. “Starting the process early allows students to explore all available options to make the best possible decision about post secondary education.”

Students at Adelphi University

“I feel that the college application is stressful as I need to research colleges and scholarships,” said junior Esther Simkhayeva. “However, the seminar classes and meetings with Ms. Sequeira are very helpful and a big part of reducing the stress involved in college applications.”

Sequeira also arranged for a Dec. 13 field trip to Adelphi University, located in Garden City. About 20 students went on the trip. They attended different workshops and got a feel for campus life.

“Visiting colleges is an important part of the process because knowing the environment you are going to be immersed in for the next four years is key for your decision making process,” said Sequeira.

“I thought it was interesting, I got to learn a lot about the college,” said sophomore Rose Primo. “It was not a big college so everyone knew each other and they were very welcoming.” She also hopes there are more of these trips in the future.